Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Hospital Stay

Before I write this, I just need to put a note here to my Mom...***in case you have stumbbled across this blog someday... I am exploring my feelings on your recent hospital stay hope that is okay....***

My Mom took a bad fall over the weekend and is now in the hospital. Two broken shoulders one of which required surgery. It's scary to see an older parent in the hospital. I guess I worry that the first occurance will be followed by more until "the end." I'm not sure why I have this fear. It seems like a slippery slope kind of thing like, if a person can avoid going to the hospital that first time, they won't ever get sick or hurt other times...I know that doesn't make much sense, it's hard to explain what I am thinking. The hospital just makes someone look so much frailer than they are in real life. It is scary. And sometimes, even when the person has gone home, they for some reason seem older and frailer than before. It makes it seem like death could be closer than before. I can say though that these were mostly fears I had before going to see my Mom the first time. After I actually saw her, she seemed like herself...groggy and in pain but not frail and sickly. I was very relieved. Hopefully there will be no more visits.

And now a bit of a rant...

Why do many members of the hospital staff speak to the patients like they are children??? I don't know why they do it and it is so irritating! Like, nails on the chalk board irritating - makes me want to scream! I know they are trying to be nice and it is tough for them that no one knows what the heck they are talking about since we haven't all been to medical / nursing school so they are probably trying to "dumb it down" but all the "honey" and "sweetey" and sickening sweet voice just doesn't seem necessary. But, I do have to admit, I haven't heard any of the actual patients complain so maybe it works. One doctor was being so ANNOYING at least from my point of view...using all those terms of endearment and saying words in Spanish like she thought my Mom couldn't understand even though she knew my Mom is actually a medical interpreter so actually has a very good understanding of the words in Spanish and English. I figured my Mom was going to get really irritated but then she told me how nice the doctor was...and my Mom has no patience for people who annoy her. So, maybe it is just me that doesn't like the way the staff talks...

Oh well...time to get ready to go visit...should be interesting bringing to small children with me...hope it goes okay...

1 comment:

JustAnotherJenny said...

I think the way you feel about hospitals is actually quite common. No one likes to think of their loved ones in a weakened state. At least your mom is not chronically ill and this will hopefully be a very short visit.

We'll be thinking of your family while she gets through this recovery period. It's difficult on the whole family when things like this happen.

On a side note, I love your little bubble picture!