Thursday, September 18, 2008

Book Review - The Last Lecture

I just read The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. For those that are not familiar, Randy was a professor at Carnegie Mellon. He was invited to give a what is called a Last Lecture which is a lecture about what a speaker would want to pass on if he were told he was dying. Randy actually was dying of cancer. So, he was better able to really know what he would be thinking and what he would want to pass on. The lecture was really a tool he could use to tell his children things he wanted them to know.

I really enjoyed this book. Randy collaborated with another writer so that he would have more time to spend with his family as he was dying. Together, they managed to write a book that was very quick and easy to read but really thought provoking as well. Randy had some definate ideas on life and wasn't shy about sharing them. He tried to have as much fun as possible as often as possible which is a great way to live I think. It sometimes seems like having fun is often left out of being an adult. A lot of people do not put as much effort as they could into having fun. Why? I guess life just gets in the way sometimes.

Anyway, I really recommend this book. It is a quick read and will give the reader some good messages. I was really sad at the end though for Randy's children knowing they would have to grow up without him. If every parent could put as much effort and thought into raising their children as Randy had planned to do if he had been able to live, I think our children would be much better off.

The lecture itself is also available to view on YouTube. I haven't gotten the chance to view it yet but have heard it is really good.

This is my first book review so please forgive me if it is no good. If you have any constructive ideas to make future reviews better, please let me know. I'd like to improve :)

1 comment:

JustAnotherJenny said...

I watched his lecture and just cried and cried and cried.