Saturday, January 24, 2009

End of nursing

I think Sam is done nursing. It has now been over 24 hours since he has nursed. While I still remember the last time, I want to write down the memory before I forget.

The last day was a Friday. I was working during the day so my mother-in-law was here helping with Sam. Sam started to get tired so Grandma gave him a ride in his little car till he fell asleep. When I moved him from the car to his bed, he woke up a bit so I nursed him back to sleep. I watched his little head bop up and down until he was asleep again. I watched his eyes close and his little body relax. I watched his little hand lay on my boob while he drank. It was a wonderful moment of closeness. He fell asleep pretty quickly (for him) and I took my boob back and left the room so he could nap.

He did nurse for a very short moment at night but it was so short and he was so restless that I don't really count it :)




For the most part, nursing has turned into a frustrating event for Sam as there is no longer enough milk to keep him interested. He mostly self weaned himself and only asked to nurse one or two times during the day. He is easily distracted from it with something else. I am mostly happy that he is done as I could use the break before the next baby arrives. I am also happy to have these next few months to really get Sam used to falling asleep without nursing and with Daddy instead of Mommy. Recent nursing has not been pleasant as it has been like trying to nurse an angry kitten - sharp teeth and claws included. I will always have wonderful memories though of nursing him as a newborn and infant - after the latch issues were resolved. It was so nice and peaceful to just sit in my big overstuffed chair and nurse my new little baby. I could play with his little hands or feet. I could feel the softness of his head and what little hair he had. I could listen to him breathe. I could also just sit and watch TV or read - wonderful moments of relaxation that don't happen often when caring for a baby. It was also nice as he got older - to have him come and pick up my shirt to let me know he wanted to nurse. To lie on my back with him on my tummy in the early morning while I tried to spend more time lying down in bed after he woke up.

Sam nursed for almost 18 months. I am happy to have made it that far. I probably would have kept going if not for the supply issue due to the new pregancy. I feel bad that Sam kind of got kicked off the boob by his younger brother or sister. I think he will forgive me though :)
This picture was taken by Brown Eyed Photograpy - www.browneyedphotography.com

No comments: